Apply to be a Clark Green Biz AmeriCorps Member!
Clark County Green Business is seeking AmeriCorps applicants for Fall 2021! As my time as a Green Business AmeriCorps member comes to a close, I reflect on everything I learned and accomplished over the past year. Through this position, I have received the opportunity to work with members of the community, stakeholders, attend trainings, and lead events. Serving as an AmeriCorps member allowed me an inside look into what it's like to work for local government and helped me narrow down what I want to "be" when I grow up.
As a Green Business AmeriCorps member, I have (and you can too!):
- Completed outreach to businesses to promote virtual events
- Hosted a Bag Ban virtual event that received press coverage
- Created and promoted a holiday countdown green challenge
- Researched and wrote blog posts about varying green business topics
- Formed and led a virtual 3-part green team series
- Coordinated an internal teambuilding virtual escape room
- Completed a project management training course and a community based social marketing training
In this strange year of remote work, I also got the chance to switch out of my pajama bottoms and go outside! The Green Neighbors AmeriCorps member and I toured the West Van Materials Recovery Center and learned all about how recycling is sorted and where it goes. They have a few snazzy robots that sort recyclables at rapid speeds, and it was fascinating to see them in action. I also will explore some sites this summer and participate in residue studies and enclosure checks.
My favorite aspect of this position has been hosting a 3-part green team virtual series. During the first event, I facilitated a Q&A panel focused on forming and managing green teams. Waste prevention was the theme of the second event, and a speaker from the City of Vancouver guided attendees on how to become a low-waste business. The final event was about tracking progress and change at businesses and I led the audience in reflection and group discussion surrounding what the future of sustainability will look like.
This position has allowed me to be creative in the workshops I lead, and blog posts I write. I hope to continue to do some exciting projects this summer and if you are interested in learning more about what I do as an AmeriCorps member please don't hesitate to reach out! My email is [email protected]
Our current openings are below. We hope to see your application soon!
- Marissa Porcellini, Clark County Green Business AmeriCorps Member