Be aware of the hazards in your home or garage
Always be aware of the type of hazard you are bringing into your home or garage. Some hazardous product containers are similar in appearance to food or beverage containers. Children who haven’t learned to read or adults that have problems with their vision may mistake a container with hazardous material for a food or beverage container.
- Keep products out of the reach of children and animals, and away from food.
- Clearly label all hazardous products before storing.
- Never store hazardous products/wastes in food or beverage containers.
- Make sure lids and caps are tightly sealed and childproof; never leave a container of hazardous material open and accessible to children or animals.
- Keep containers dry to prevent corrosion.
- Corroded containers should be placed in a labeled plastic bucket with a secure lid.
- Store volatile chemicals in a well-ventilated area.
- Store rags used with flammable products in a sealed and marked container.
- Keep flammable or combustible products away from heat, flames, or other sources of ignition.
- Store gasoline in approved containers, in ventilated areas, and away from ignition sources.
- Know where flammable materials are stored and how to extinguish them.