November 2021 Green Neighbors Newsletter
|view it online|
|events & activities | news | recycling|
Hello Visitante, Moving into the season of eats, this is the time of year when we think about holiday meal preparations and food donation. Join us for two upcoming virtual events centering around food too good to waste:
Attendees will be entered into a raffle drawing for a low-waste sustainability kit!
HEALTHY FAMILIES: pumpkin muffinsPumpkin sweets and treats abound, but there are healthy alternatives that the whole family will love. The lack of granulated sugar and butter is guaranteed to go unnoticed in these pumpkin muffins. If you want to omit dairy, replace milk with your non-dairy milk of choice. Sub out the eggs for a dairy-free yogurt (4 TBSP per egg)!
Throw on an apron and follow the simple steps below:
⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup maple syrup or honey
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup pumpkin purée
¼ cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
2 TSP pumpkin spice blend (or 1 TSP ground cinnamon, ½ TSP ground ginger, ¼ TSP ground nutmeg, and ¼ TSP ground allspice or cloves)
1 TSP baking soda
1 TSP vanilla extract
½ TSP salt
1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
⅓ cup old-fashioned oats, plus more for sprinkling on top
Optional: 2 TSP turbinado (raw) sugar for a sweet crunch
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) and grease a 12-cup muffin tin with butter or cooking spray.
2. Mix the oil and honey or maple syrup with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well. Then add the pumpkin puree, milk, spice blend, baking soda, vanilla and salt and mix until combined.
3. Fold the flour and oats into the batter with a spoon until combined. Be careful not to overmix!
4. Mix in goodies of your choice (chocolate chips, nuts or dried fruit).
5. Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with oats, turbinado sugar or more spice blend.
6. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes.
Keep these muffins in an airtight container for up to 2 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
Click below for the full recipe!
|CLARKGREENNEIGHBORS.ORG | CONTACT US|