Beginner Sea Kayaking Training
What to expect: This is a 2-hr "introduction to sea kayaking" outing. Once everyone is on the water, leaders will guide you through about 30 min of instruction. Then we'll be off on an easy paddle upstream on Lake River. We normally arrive back at the rental boathouse about 1-1:30 p.m.
What to wear and bring:
* No cotton next to your skin. Cotton is like a sponge and soaks up sweat, leaving you chilly and clammy. Polyester polypropylene and nylon are far superior. If it looks rainy, bring a good rain parka (gore-tex is great, but not necessary) and a hat. Dress for the weather. During summer, a polyester t-shirt, nylon or polyester shorts, etc., is usually sufficient.
* Hat, sunglasses with tether, sunscreen.
* change of dry clothes in a waterproof bag (capsizes are rare, but can happen).
* footwear: old running shoes, water shoes, river sandals or wetsuit booties.
* lunch & water (or your favorite non-alcoholic beverage).
* optional: small pair of binoculars. We'll be paddling adjacent to Ridgefield Nat'l Wildlife Refuge, which has many species of aquatic birds and mammals, as well as bald eagles. Also optional: camera -- should be in waterproof bag or case if not waterproof.
Salmon Creek Park and Ride
1112 NE 136th St
Vancouver, WA 98685
Event Sponsor Sierra Club