Naturally Beautiful Backyards (NBB) is a program that can help you be as green in your yard as you are in your house. There are things you do in your indoor life to be green, likewise, there are things you can do in your yard to be green as well. And not just in your BACK-yard!The NBB program encourages the following:
- Cultivate a tolerant mindset.
- Build good soil. Recycle, compost and use mulch.
- Select appropriate plants. Ones that are native, zone-appropriate, and/or disease-resistant. Reduce traditional turf-grass lawn.
- Create inviting habitat. For birds, bees, beneficial insects, wildlife.
- Use fewer chemicals. Including pesticide, herbicide, fertilizer.
- Prevent storm water run-off and erosion. Use less water.
- Make use of our Information Archive
Make It Naturally Beautiful
Learning about how nature works will make you a better and more confident gardener. Encouraging birds, bees, and wildlife into your yard by using native plants, tolerating insects and a little damage, building great soil, recycling and composting waste materials, and using fewer chemicals (fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides) will enable your yard to contribute positively to a healthier environment.
Browse our pages and learn how to make your yard naturally beautiful.