Big Blue is for mixed recycling materials. They all go into the truck together and are separated both mechanically and by hand-sorting at the recycling facility. It is really important to have the correct items placed in the cart for recycling and it is also important for them to be clean. Contaminants, in the form of either unrecyclable materials or food residue, can result in an entire load being sent to the landfill. When in doubt, throw it out. Items smaller than your fist will most likely not make it through the sorting equipment and will end up being trash so it is easier for everyone if you just throw them away to begin with. And please, NO plastic bags.
- Bottles – rinse
- Plastic tubs – rinse, discard lids
- Plastic buckets – 5 gallons or less, rinse if needed
- Nursery pots – empty and free of soil
Paper & Cardboard:
- Newspaper, magazines, junk mail, phone books, paper bags, cereal boxes, gift and shoe boxes, writing and printing paper.
- Shredded paper – contain in brown paper bag with the top folded and stapled
- Milk cartons, drink boxes, soy milk and soup boxes – rinse
- Cardboard – flatten and cut down to fit inside cart
- Aerosol cans – MUST be empty to recycle, discard lids
- Aluminum and tin cans – rinse
- Scrap metal – less than 35 pounds, no larger than 24 inches in any dimension, remove any attached plastic, rubber, or wood. NO automotive parts.