- Scientific Name: Azelea 'Autumn Beauty'
- Garden: Wildlife Garden
- Plant Type: Shrub
- Evergreen/Deciduous: Evergreen
- Sun/Shade Exposure: Part Sun to Part Shade
- Moisture Requirements: Moist, well-drained
From their first leaves and flower buds in late winter/early spring through the first hard freeze in autumn, Encore® Azaleas add beauty to both residential and commercial landscapes.
Encore Azaleas’ bright green leaf color throughout most seasons followed by some change of colors in the fall make them a welcome addition to garden spots with exposure to full sun or high filtered shade. Their multi-season flower display makes them one of the most popular landscape shrubs available.
Azaleas are part of the Rhododendron plant family. Most gardening books and many plant sellers still call Azaleas Rhododendrons so when you are deciding where to plant your Encore Azaleas, you can use the same guidance for both. Remember though — Encore Azaleas like more sun than traditional shade-loving azaleas (provide 4-6 hours of sun for optimal blooms).
- Wind protection provided by buildings, large shrubs, evergreen trees or a slope that goes north or east (to protect them from harsh, drying south and west winds);
- Part-shade is good but it has to balanced with sunlight to produce healthy, flowering Encore Azaleas;
- Soil that has been prepped with plenty of compost added;
- Containers (with drainage holes), raised beds or flower beds offering good drainage;
- Acidic soil with a pH between 5.0 and 5.5